And He said unto me, "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
2 Corinthians 12:9

Sunday, June 17, 2018

#HealingForHaylie-Post 16

Haylie Update- June 17

I have to be honest, these past 2 days have been the toughest on me. I got sick and can’t be around Haylie until I’m well. It is so incredibly hard not being there for her when I know she needs me. The only thing harder is going back to the hospital too soon and risking getting her sick. Because her body has no immune system right now, even catching a cold could be extremely dangerous or even deadly to her. She is just the sweetest thing. When she called crying, wanting me there, it just broke my heart. The only thing that will break it more is if I were to get her sick because I was still contagious. I just can’t take that risk. Please pray for a quick recovery for me and strength for me and Haylie while I have to be away from her and for wisdom to know when it is safe for me to be back at the hospital.

To add to everything right now, the chemo has begun to make her hair fall out. This is probably going to be one of the most difficult things for us to deal with. She has the most beautiful long hair and it is so hard for both of us. I know it will grow back one day, but it is hard for anyone to go through, especially an 11 year old girl. I want so badly to be with her through this and hold her hand and even cry with her, if it will make her feel better. We will get through this, but right now it just hurts. Really really hurts.

I am so thankful that Haylie has such a good daddy. He has stepped up and stayed with her the last 2 days and nights. I keep telling Haylie for everything that we find negative, we have to find at least one positive, if not more. So, it is a very positive thing that Haylie got to spend some great bonding time with her loving daddy, on Father’s Day. And I am very thankful that I have been able to get some much needed rest. I didn’t even realize how exhausted I was until I just crashed. I’m thankful for my awesome sister who has stepped up to take care of me, the house, and even make it to 2 of Brennen’s games. I’m thankful that I will get to spend some much needed snuggle time with Brennen tonight when he gets back from his tournament. And lastly, I’m thankful for Jared and Jamie King for taking care of Brennen and getting him to all of his baseball games this weekend. We are so blessed by family and friends who have stepped up to help us during this time.

On a very positive note, I want to celebrate some victories with Haylie’s latest lab results. Five days ago her blood lab work came back with zero cancer cells and her platelets held at 50!!! We were told by doctors that it was just one blood sample, and not to be discouraged if it shows a few cancer cells the next day and her platelets go down. We know we are in a long battle to get all the cancer out of her blood and bone marrow and there are times it will go up and down. We were encouraged because in that small sample they didn’t find cancer cells which means the cancer cells aren’t as concentrated as before and the chemo is working. The next day her blood work again showed no cancer cells and her platelets actually increased to 62. Doctors told us it was highly unlikely that she could already be making her own platelets. I believe in the power of prayer and can see God’s hand at work. Well, on Friday her labs came back with zero cancer cells detected again and her platelets had gone up to 80! Clearly her body was making more platelets! Yesterday labs came back zero cancer cells for 4 days in a row and her platelets had risen to 106! We actually were expecting them to go down because she had another round of chemo which kills both the good and the bad. I was a little shocked to see them still rising. Today’s labs came back with zero cancer cells detected and her platelets have increased to 128! We do have amazing doctors, but we have an even more amazing God. I feel like God has been telling me He is going before us fighting this battle and everyday the lab reports have proven we are beginning to win this battle with cancer. It is still a very long road so we will continue to need lots of prayers over the coming months and years. We realize we have only just begun the first phase and this process will take 2-3 years to be completely cancer free. The goal for this phase is to leave the hospital with 0.001% no cancer. This is the proven process that doctors take with all patients in induction. We must continue to get chemo over the next 2-3 years to insure her body is cancer free. But today, I am going to stand and Praise God for the first step in our victory.

Please keep the prayers coming, they are working. Her blood levels are down a little so more than likely she will need another blood transfusion this week. And thanks to all the amazing donors, there is an adequate blood supply for her to get one. Doctors are very pleased with her progress and said she is right where she needs to be.

He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31
#HealingForHaylie


A picture of us from a couple of days ago. I love this girl. Her strength during this just amazes me.

She was so excited that the nurse drew a picture of her dog, who she dearly misses, on the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment