And He said unto me, "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
2 Corinthians 12:9

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Update!!

There really aren't words to describe my thanks, amazement, gratitude, appreciation,...

There I go trying to come up with words. I haven't posted in a while and I have heard from so many of you, checking in to make sure we are okay. I even received a call from a special friend in California today. You know who you are. Thank you!

At first, no posts were for good reasons. I wasn't having many seizures and was staying busy. Then, I was having a lot after Christmas and B & I decided that getting the docs to do much in the way of the IV therapy over the holidays was going to be tough.

So, last Sunday, we decided to increase the dosage of one of my meds (the doc had previously given me permission to do so, if I felt it was necessary). The problem with this is that in the past, when I have increased the meds, I have typically gone a few days with fewer seizures and then they start back up again (it's like my body/brain develops a tolerance). Then, the docs want to keep increasing the dose of meds. They eventually get to a dose that is considered to be too high and decide they either need to hospitalize me or switch meds. Having already been on eight or more meds, I don't want to go down this road again, but we felt with the holidays, this was the best avenue.

I went a couple of days with just one or two seizures a day after the increase in meds. Per my standards, this is good compared to ten or more per day (what I was having around Christmas). Per the docs, one or two is still too many. It also means I am still a long way from driving which "drives" me crazy.

Then, I started having a bunch of seizures (which is usually when I have time to sit down and post b/c I don't have energy to do much more), but we had a lot of stuff on our plates and I just couldn't and I would have preferred to post good news. So, I'll try to catch everyone up from the last post.

Last Monday, one of my college roomies, K, made the trek out here and took me to the grocery store!! We had so much fun! Usually one of our sweet neighbors takes me or B will. I am no fun to shop with...B knows that it is best for our marriage to send me in alone. I go with calculator and coupons in hand. Being home all the time now, I do all of the online coupon stuff and try to save as much as I can on each grocery trip. So, all of my grocery trips are alone and I meet my ride at the front of the store when I have completed the shopping. I warned her that this could be dangerous. However, she wanted to accompany me through the entire store. K and I had a good time. She manned the calculator for me and we knocked out the grocery list! I think she might even be on board now with savin' extra at the grocery store!!

K also was known in college for being a wonderful chef and baker. The girl has talent in the kitchen. She made us some meals to throw in the freezer. So sweet. We had fun catching up and got to have some special time praying together before she left. We also got to take a pic together. I sure miss getting to spend time with her.



I honestly can't remember where we were headed, but I took these pics while B was driving and so they aren't great. The sunset was so pretty, though. I just had to capture it.

Going...

Going...


Gone....


The seizures seem to have returned and with a bit of a vengeance. I seem to be shaking a bit more, kind of like I'm shivering as if I were cold. We go back to Houston this week for the follow up with the Neurosurgeon and we're hoping to get in with the epileptologist.

B was also supposed to have his follow-ups this week at MD Anderson and they were scheduled for the wrong days. So, we are praying they can get them rescheduled for the days we will be in Houston.

My head still hurts quite a bit at some of the incision sites. So, I'm hoping there are some answers to that and the pain will be resolved soon. As I was telling someone at church today, I just wish that we would get there and the docs would say they couldn't sleep all week because they had figured it out and knew exactly what was going on...wouldn't that be nice? I'm just ready to feel better and have energy. I want to be able to communicate with adults and feel like an adult. I feel like I stumble so often over my words and just feel so reliant upon everyone else to accomplish anything.

I've tried to get a bunch done this last week around the house. Mom took me to Lowe's to try to find some organizational stuff for the pantry. They didn't have what I was looking for, but we ran into this sweet man from our church that had exactly what we were looking for that he wasn't using any more. He brought it over that night. We got it up this week. We've tried to organize the garage, our closet, the kitchen, and other parts of the house this week. I'm just trying to feel like I'm accomplishing some goals!!!

Oh, and New Years Eve!!! A sweet friend from high school picked me up and we went to get our nails done. Such a fun treat and good girl time! Then, B and I went to dinner and tried to find some sparkling grape juice. We got back home and made it as far as the ball dropping in NYC. B said I was snoring a few minutes after that...he then woke me up around 11:45p and we got in bed! Happy 2009 to all of you!!!

Thank you all for checking in and praying! May all of this bring glory to the Lord!!!

To you, O LORD, I lift up my soul;
in you I trust, O my God.
Do not let me be put to shame,
nor let my enemies triumph over me.
Show me your ways, O LORD,
teach me your paths;

guide me in your truth and teach me,

for you are God my Savior,

and my hope is in you all day long.

Remember, O LORD, your great mercy and love,

for they are from of old.

My eyes are ever on the LORD,

for only he will release my feet from the snare.

Turn to me and be gracious to me,

for I am lonely and afflicted.

The troubles of my heart have multiplied;

free me from my anguish.

Look upon my affliction and my distress

and take away all my sins.

Guard my life and rescue me;

let me not be put to shame,

for I take refuge in you.

May integrity and uprightness protect me,

because my hope is in you.

Psalm 25:1-2, 4-6,15-21

3 comments:

  1. I am praying for a decrease in the seizures and wisdom for the doctors.

    It sounds like you have been on a long journey and, although are situations are not the same, we somehow have a lot in common!

    May God bring healing to your body!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good to hear from you! send me an email at leslie.a.peck at gmail.com and i'll send you the pic of the allergy. praying for you and your family... so sorry for all that you guys have had to walk through. you look beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I made it on your blog! :-) Lol . . .

    ReplyDelete