And He said unto me, "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
2 Corinthians 12:9

Monday, January 26, 2009

Long overdue

This update is so overdue. However, I felt it was more important to get everyone praying for and updated on Connor. Now that he is home and should be back at school today, I'll give you the update on our time in Houston a few weeks ago.

The trip started with a visit to the Neurosurgeon who basically said, "Have a nice day, there's really not a lot we can do for you at this point. Just try to get on with your life." They feel the seizures are too deep to do any of the surgeries they had originally discussed and are scared to go that deep in my brain.

He said he doesn't know that it would really work for me, but the one last surgical option he would consider is a Vagus Nerve Stimulator (VNS). Basically, it is like a pacemaker for the brain. It sends little electrical impulses all day long to your brain in hopes of eliminating seizures. You are not able to stop meds, it creates a lot of extra scars, and makes you hoarse (there goes my chances at American Idol)! So, they want to hold off on that for a while longer.

Here we are with the Neurosurgeon.


Then, we went to see Connor and his Momma.


Then, we met with my Epileptologist. We didn't take a pic with him this time. He basically said that he didn't see many options for us other than maybe trying the Ketogenic/Modified Atkins Diet. I lost it at that point and just started to cry. I'm just ready for this to be over. I told him that at some point we would love to have kids, but at least one of the meds I'm on is too dangerous for a pregnancy. The adoption can't proceed until I've been seizure free for an "undetermined" amount of time. It's hard to get out of the house not being able to drive and I'm still not good at asking for rides. So, there are many times that I just feel stuck in the house. I had hoped that I would arrive in his clinic and he would say that he had discovered some little known secret that would cure it all. Instead, he was precious and hugged me and said he was sorry.

He told us to go ahead and try to get pregnant, maybe that would stop the seizures (no guarantee, but maybe). Obviously, that is a risk we are not willing to take as that is not addressing the problem. So, I left extremely discouraged.

We are now looking in to the Ketogenic Diet. They refer to the one I would do as the Modified Atkins Diet. I will need to go back to Houston in a few weeks and meet with the Dietitian to start the diet. However, we are trying to institute as much of it as possible now...

The next day, we had B's appts. at MD Anderson. Praise Jesus, still Cancer FREE!!

At this point, I had actually gone three days without any seizures. No idea why (Jesus!)!!!

While we were waiting for the doc to come in, the scheduler (I hope I'm giving her the right title-I think she does a lot more than I just gave her credit for) stepped in to help us with something. When she heard our story, she just started proclaiming the name of Jesus and His healing power. She had me in tears!! Wow! What an amazing woman.

This is a picture of us!

She was such a sweet encouragement!

Praise Jesus, my hubby is still Cancer FREE!!!

We then met up with our sweet friends:

S, A, J, A, & Me


J really liked B and had fun sitting with him.


The girls were so sweet and cuddly.
I got some special hugs from Miss A!!

Look at that sweet smile!!

Miss A also made me a beautiful necklace and gave me a bracelet that she got for Christmas. I've actually worn my bracelet a couple of times...I haven't found the right shirt to match the necklace just yet!!

Then, we went and had dinner at PF Chang's in The Woodlands.

On our way out of town, we said a quick hello/good-bye to Sam (Houston)....



Though I went a few days without seizures while in Houston, they started back up again for a few days. Then, I went a few more days without any and they started back up again. The most I seem to have is about seven a day. So, that is better than 10 or 15.

I'll try to keep you better updated....just wanted to catch you up on the Houston trip from a few weeks ago. Thank you for all of your prayers!

I Peter 4:12-13, "Dear friends, don't be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you. Instead, be very glad--for these trials make you partners with Christ in his suffering, so that you will have the wonderful joy of seeing his glory when it is revealed to all the world." (NLT)

John 16:33, "'I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.'"(NIV)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. I'm sorry they didn't have more answers for you. God's timing is perfect, even if it's hard to always remember that :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Anne and a friend sent me your way. I just want you to know that you are in my prayers! Praise God that your hubby is cancer free. That is such a praise report! I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete