And He said unto me, "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
2 Corinthians 12:9

Friday, August 8, 2008

Is it breakfast or lunch?

Well, Wednesday morning I woke up and got busy doing stuff and didn't eat breakfast until close to noon (I guess that makes it lunch). Anyway, my first seizure that day was about thirty minutes after I ate "breakfast."

Wednesday night we went to hear a ministry update from an Aggie friend. While there, we spoke with a man that gave us the phone number of his best friend. His friend's son has seizures that have been controlled with diet for a few years. B and I spent the drive home creating all kinds of theories as to why I had fewer seizures that day (only two that day compared to ten the day before) and we tried to tie a lot of it back in to diet.

While previously doing research on treatment options, we found the Ketogenic Diet, which I asked my doc about many months ago. He said only if I wanted to eat vegetable oil for the rest of my life would that be an option. That didn't sound attractive and so I dropped it.

As soon as I woke up Thursday morning I started doing some research. That made Thursday very similar to Wednesday...late start to breakfast, first seizure wasn't until about thirty minutes after I ate. We went to the Mayo Clinic website (#1 Neuro center in the world) and found many details regarding success with the Ketogenic diet. We also found many of the questions we've asked about hormones listed as causes that can be treated. The docs here told us that the cause didn't matter b/c the brain had already learned to seize and so they still need to remove that part of it.

The very basics of the diet are high fat, low glucose, some proteins. That forces your body to create Ketones and puts your body in starvation mode. Somehow, they have found (moreso in children) that starvation inhibits seizures.

***I have no intentions of starving myself. I like food too much***

On the other hand, they are using this in many seizure patients and seeing results. So, let's see, we can cut my brain open, possibly lose the rest of my memory, possibly lose speech centers, etc., or drink vegetable oil. All of a sudden veggie oil is attractive!! Anyone want to have a veggie oil party? Cheers!!

This morning has been quite similar. I had dinner last night at 6p and didn't eat "breakfast" (call it what it is: lunch) until noon. So, in theory my body thinks it's starving. The difference today is that I haven't had a seizure. I had one seizure yesterday around 11:15am and I haven't had one since! Thank you, Jesus! If only for a 26-hour break, I am grateful. The increased energy, productivity, etc., are amazing. This doesn't mean I'll never have another. This is just an encouragement that all of the things we've been asking the docs about:
  • hormones
  • metabolism
  • etc.
could actually be playing a huge role in this (even though they say it isn't). This is pointing in the right direction.

Please pray:
  • We would be able to get into the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota quickly (we've requested an appt.)
  • or, we could find a nutritionist/doc here that would consider the Keto diet as an option.
  • The docs here would open their eyes to this choice.
  • I will have wisdom in how to mimic the diet for now. It is apparently quite dangerous to start and be on and requires hospitalization and strict monitoring by docs and nutritionists.
  • Praise the Lord for the improvements that Baby Life has had today.
  • Healing and encouragement for a couple that recently got married and found out that he has cancer. He is getting results from some scans today and will have six hours of chemo.
God Bless each of you for your willingness to come here each day to find ways to pray for us and others.

5 comments:

  1. Let's party on-I have some organic olive oil! There is a lot that we do not know and the medical field isn't aware of regarding diet and the body. It is worth a shot! I am praying for your strength and for you to get into the Mayo Clinic. I was there as a child-when they didn't think I would walk again becasue of the airplane crash. I will coninue to pray for God to revela the path He wants YOU on. Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey~you left a comment asking if it was me on the Daniel study...yes, it's me. i am very pregnant in those videos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my email is dmcclure002@comcast.net; we'd love to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whether or not this is a permanent solution, I know it's wonderful just to have a break from it! We will continue to pray for God's direction in this, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meredith;
    That is great news, Donna (Ben's mom) had told me to look at this blog. Have you considered coming to the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, AZ instead of in Minnesota..it would be much closer and would be great to see you. I was also thinking about some things that I had read about the amazing power of omega 3 fish oils on the brain.. and I will research and look at my books, about what they say about seizures. Love you and Ben.
    Kristiana

    ReplyDelete