And He said unto me, "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
2 Corinthians 12:9

Sunday, June 29, 2008

CUTting Through the Desert!

Well, it's been a few days since I've written anything. I really want to post exciting entries that keep counting down how many days I have gone without seizures. However, that just hasn't been happening. So, I will post anyway. I so appreciate (as does B) those of you that are continuing to lift us up in prayer. The road just seems to keep getting longer, right as we think we're nearing the end.

Speaking of things getting longer, my hair is not one of them. Over the last two years, I have been losing a bunch of hair. Apparently, one of the side effects of anti-seizure meds is hair loss. So, what that means is, I went from losing a bit more hair than usual to losing hand fulls of hair all day long once I started the meds. I spoke with the lady that cuts my hair (her fiance has seizures,too) and she said that by cutting my hair, I would lessen the weight and, hopefully, not lose as much. I took the big step yesterday. My hair is now super short (at least for me). It is right above my shoulders. Yikes! B has been precious and says he loves it. I'm still getting used to it. I'll try to post a picture sometime soon.

As I stated at the beginning of the post, we are ready for this season to end. However,
part of my time in the Word this morning seemed very applicable to all that is going on...So, I have posted it below:


Desert Training
TGIF Today God Is First Volume 2, by Os Hillman
06-29-2008

"O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water" (Ps. 63:1).

The desert holds a special place in God's Word. The Scriptures portray the desert as a place of inspiration and exaltation - a place where people met God in a powerful new way. King David wrote the 63rd Psalm while in exile in the Desert of Judah. He was hiding from his son Absalom, who wanted to replace him as king of Israel.

For Joseph, a deep pit in the desert was the first stop on a 13-year journey through desolation and despair. That 13-year desert experience served to break Joseph's self-will and self-confidence. It taught him that he could not control anything and that he needed to rely on God to manage the events in his life. Joseph's desert trial prepared him by scorching the youthful pride and arrogance out of his young life so that when he was 30 years old he could rule Egypt at Pharaoh's side in a spirit of humility and servant-hood.

Before becoming king of Israel, David was a shepherd. Part of his training for leadership involved hand-to-claw combat with the beasts of the wilderness, including the lion and the bear. Elijah learned the principles of spiritual leadership while in the wilderness of Gilead. And Jesus was tempted and tested for 40 days in the desert before He began to preach.

Perhaps God has given you a dream, but now it seems that your dream has withered and died under the scorching desert sun. It seems that God has gone away and is not listening to your prayers. But I want you to know that that your dream still lives. God is with you, even if you can't see Him, hear Him or sense His presence. He is preparing you in the desert.

We pray that's what this time is...just preparation in the desert that also required a hair cut to cool off a bit!! We wish we knew what we were being prepared for (sorry Mrs. Greenwalt, I know I shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition). There are so many dreams that we have that have been placed on hold over the last two years. So, please pray that we would be able to sense Him and His hand in this time! Thank you all so much!!

2 comments:

  1. I recently took the big step and cut my hair to my shoulders as well. I finally got to a point where I wanted a change, which is HUGE for me since I've always had it the same...long and straight. After getting it done, I can't believe I didn't do this earlier! There are so many benefits, including less blow drying time and a lot cooler in this heat!

    We are, as always, praying daily for you. -Can't wait to see pics of your hair! I'm sure it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey precious friends. Just a note to tell you we are constantly praying for you and asking God bring healing. We love you both! Can't wait to see your new 'do.

    Bret and Jenny

    ReplyDelete