And He said unto me, "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
2 Corinthians 12:9

Friday, October 31, 2008

Thank you!!

Well, y'all are amazing prayer warriors! After lots of prayer, and conversation with a few people, we made a decision.

First, we realized I am a People Pleaser. I am super independent and so I've never noticed how much I try to please people. I like to do everything on my own. However, having to depend on so many people over the last year or so, I've learned that I do care what people think. I don't like to call people to ask for rides to the grocery store because I don't want to take too long, use up too much of their time, etc., but I want to save money for our family and it's my big outing for the week. So, that has been very hard for me. I just don't like to ask for anything because I don't want to inconvenience anyone.

How does that apply to this? I have felt a complete peace about moving forward with this surgery. However, B's b-day is on Thursday and I've kept the poor man from working most of the year. Mom has sacrificed a ton of work and who wants her daughter's head cut into....? I felt like they deserved more. So, I was trying to be patient and wait. I was doing what I thought they wanted. I was getting more and more uncomfortable about waiting, though. So, Ben and I spent some time in prayer about it and talking about it. I was also challenged by another sister in the Lord that had the surgery earlier this year.

We said, "Let's do it." The doc called and I think he expected me to say, "no." He said that they had not discussed it at their surgical meeting and so he was going to have to go back and have a meeting with the team to discuss it. He then said he was going to have to call back. So, when he called back later this evening, he said they felt it was too risky (infection risk) to move forward with the full procedure because it would require so many surgeries to find the point of origin (a lot more details, but that's the short version).

Therefore, I will check in sometime on Monday. They will perform a test on Monday or Tuesday called the WADA. Then, on Wednesday, they will drill a few holes in my head and implant sub-dural strips (electrodes). They are hoping that will give them enough information to then move forward with the intended surgery in January, yet with less risk.

Sorry I have rambled so much, but I've tried to type this amongst the door bell ringing every few seconds with frightening creatures and princesses at the door. I'll try to share more details that make more sense as I begin to understand them.

More than anything, thank you for your prayers as I have such a peace about this and feel that the Lord has guided each step. We'll try to keep you updated...

3 comments:

  1. Well, it sounds like your prayers have been answered, maybe for you, as to the correct course of action. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, as it sounds there is still quite a journey ahead of you. Glad you were able to celebrate Halloween and got some trick- or - treaters.

    Kristiana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meredith, Ben. I am glad to read your doctors are devising a plan to treat your condition. I understand your not wanting to wait anymore but I think the docs have a point to try out the new medicine and then proceed with the surgery. Me and Susan would continue our prayers for more guidiance, courage, confidence and faith for you and all the people that have shared in one way or another of your heroic struggle with the terrible seizures you have been having...January 2009 would be around the corner before you know it. Best of luck and hope!

    Frank & Susan Lu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing incredible details for the next few months as to what you will be doing and we will continue to PRAY!!!
    We love you both and know you are in the hands of Jesus!
    Angie and family!

    ReplyDelete