And He said unto me, "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
2 Corinthians 12:9

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Consider it Pure Joy...

Consider it pure joy, my brothers (& sisters), when you experience trials of many kinds...
James 1:2

James 1-click on this link. It's worth reading the rest of the verse.

This was the scripture at church today and is so applicable to all areas of our life. However, I was unable to attend. I really don't know where to start...should I go in chronological order or start with today and go backwards? I'll try to be chronological...

I was so blessed on Friday by all of our friends that stepped up to help since Mom was sick and couldn't take me to all my doc appts. So, we started the morning with our friend, who's husband just came back from Iraq, taking me to my first appt. As if she hasn't sacrificed enough. Then, one of Mom's dearest friends took me in to my appts at Medical City. One of B's coworkers then picked me up to take me to my MRIs. Then, B picked me up after that (home from his tests at MD Anderson-cancer FREE) and we headed home to our precious next door neighbor preparing dinner for us.

Many of you have asked, how were the doc appts? I want to say wonderful. The first one was great...I felt like the doc listened, but he wanted me to ask the neurologist how he felt about the changes he wanted to make since you have to be so gentle with adjusting the anti-seizure meds. Then, I went to the endo that said there is nothing she can do. Finally, I got in to the neurologist, hoping for some real answers and progress. His response was that I shouldn't still be having seizures on this much medication, but he doesn't know what to do and doesn't want to do the things primary care suggested. His two options (other than trying to slowly change the meds) were:

1. put me in a drug induced coma for a few days to basically reset my brain and see if the seizures would stop or at least start from scratch with meds.
2. put me back in the hospital and stop all of the meds abruptly and try to start from scratch.

I didn't like either of those choices, but I am having some side effects from the medicine and so I begged him to let me start backing off of the first med that we didn't really see results with...he said he didn't want me to until I reached the max dose of the new one and am not having any more seizures. I begged again and he's going to let me start slowly backing off of the first one. It should take a couple of months to get off of that med and the prayer is that the seizures won't increase as I back off of that med. So, then I went to the MRI. Don't know about those results. I assume they will call me this next week to let me know.

B's brother was put back in the hospital on Friday because he was so weak from not being able to eat, etc. So, they will be trying to build him back up and strengthen him over the next few days. Pray for his strength, encouragement, etc.

Saturday, we had a family get together. We were so excited to get to be with family and have a special day sitting outside enjoying each other. However, after about an hour, I had a seizure and decided maybe it was just too hot outside. So, I went inside to cool off. A few minutes after lunch, I started feeling a bit yucky. In short, this stomach virus that Mom had, my neighbors had, and about everyone else we know has had, hit me. So, we quickly got in the car and headed home. Let's just say I had my head in the trash can the rest of the day (is that the nice way to say it). B gave me a breath mint (hint, hint) around eight last night and funny enough, it seemed to settle my stomach. I have still felt a bit uneasy today, but have yet to get sick again. Way to go, Dr. B!!

I didn't want to get anyone sick at church today. So, I didn't go. However, my wonderful hubby went to church this morning, washed the sheets, washed all the clothes, ironed, made lunch, is making dinner right now...he is such a Rockstar! I am amazed by him and his tenacity!!

Yesterday, we watched our wedding video since I don't remember much of it with all these seizures. It was special to hear B say, "In sickness and in health..." and daily see him living it out and meaning it. Many of the words his grandfather (who married us) used, discussing the facts of marriage, were very descriptive of the last few years of our life together (how did he know?). He talked about touching lives and marriages of those older and younger than us, for the Lord, through trials, and that it is all about the Lord's glory. That has been our focus and hope through all of this...may people see Jesus and not us and may God get the glory.

So, I have rambled for too long. So, together, let's consider it pure joy when we face trials of many kinds because the testing of our faith develops perseverance...

No comments:

Post a Comment