And He said unto me, "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
2 Corinthians 12:9

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Joy's Journal (Connor's Mom)

Tait and I were in New Canaan, CT this past weekend participating in the TeamConnor 500 for 500 Relay. Our friends, Matt and Tonya Russo host this event each year. Runners take turns running 5 mile legs at a time, until we reach our goal of 500 miles. The Russo's home is the home base. Each runner runs a five mile loop in the neighborhood, ending their leg where they started - at the Russo's house. This run is so gorgeous. The surroundings are so beautiful and the weather was perfect (a lot different than our hot weather in Texas). All the sponsorship funds go to TeamConnor. I think the run this year will raise $150,000 or more.

It is a tradition for Tait and I to end the race. As we complete the last five miles of the relay, we run uphill for approximately 1/8 of a mile. At first, you cannot see the finish line. You just know it is coming up ahead. Then, you starting hearing the noise. At first, it is a distant whisper and it slowly grows louder. Then, you recognize it. It is the shouts of encouragement and joy. It is clapping and cheering that conveys everyone's love and support of you. Eventually, their faces come into view. Huge smiles light up their faces as they cheer you on to the finish line. I felt a rush of love, joy and accomplishment.

All I could think of at that moment was this must be what it is like to enter Heaven (times 1,000 or 1,000,000). How wonderful Connor must have felt to have family and friends cheering him HOME! He must have been beaming! I can just see his little legs picking up pace, running faster than he ever has. I'm sure as Connor approached, they were slapping him High Fives and giving him "knuckles". They were patting him on the back. Then the group separated, forming two lines that ushered him down the center. At the end of the line, he must have looked up into Jesus' face. Wow! I don't even know how to describe what that must have felt like. Knowing Connor, he probably reached out and gave Jesus one of his famous, fantastic hugs. Oh, what a hug that must have been! I'm sure Connor felt loved and cherished as never before.

As much as we miss Connor, Tait and I could never wish him back here - back to the challenges and pain that this life offered him. Never wish him away from the One that loves him more than anyone. We find comfort and peace in the assurance of Heaven for those who believe.

"He will swallow up death for all time, and the Lord GOD will wipe tears away from all faces."

Isaiah 25:8

Even after my skin is destroyed,
Yet from my flesh I shall see God;

Whom I myself shall behold,
And whom my eyes will see and not another.

Job 19:26-27

Please pray for our friends, McKenzie Mae (www.caringbridge/visit/mckenziemae) and Caden Ledbetter (www.caringbridge/visit/cadenledbetter) . They have relapsed with Neuroblastoma and are faced with a future of not a lot of medical hope. Their hope lies in a miracle from God.

Always believing,
Joy Cruse

No comments:

Post a Comment