And He said unto me, "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
2 Corinthians 12:9

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

From Connor's Mommy

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

JOy
Suffering teaches us that God's ways are above our ways.  We often struggle like Job did with the injustice and the mystery of our sufferings.  We search for a reason why this should happen?  I know that there were times when I questioned God's plan.  There surely is a better way.  Job questioned God's Sovereignty, too.

"Even today, my complaint is bitter; his hand is heavy in spite of my groaning.
If only I knew where to find him; if only I could go to his dwelling!
I would state my case before him and fill my mouth with arguments.
I would find out what he would answer me, and consider what he would say.
My feet have closely followed his steps; I have kept to his way without turning aside.
I have not departed from the commands of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.
But he stands alone, and who can oppose him?  He does whatever he pleases."
Job 23: 2-5, 11-13

I understand Job's frustration.  Like Job, we often feel that if we live a life that follows after Christ, we are justified in getting the right reward for our efforts.  It makes no sense that others seem to be rewarded for unrighteous behavior, while righteous men like Job don't get their prayers answered.  It seems so unfair.  Often, I would cry out to God in my frustration.  "Did I not glorify you in my trials?  Did I not exhibit faith in you at all times?"  Doesn't it make sense that I should be rewarded for my efforts?  While I see other families who are battling childhood cancer that make no mention of God, His strength or saving grace, continue to hold their surviving children in their arms.  It makes no sense and doesn't seem fair.  Have you ever experienced these same emotions?

God's response to Job hits home with me.

"Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge?
Now gird up your loins like a man and I will ask you, and you instruct Me!
Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?  Tell me, if you understand.
Who marked off it dimensions?  Surely you know!
Who stretched a measuring line across it?
On what were it's footings set, or who laid its cornerstone- While the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?"

God's response reminds me of a parent's response to a child.  "Because I said so."  "Because I know best."  "I brought you into this world and I can take you out." -Bill Cosby.  I can see that God doesn't have to defend his actions to me.  He's the one and only true God, who put this world into motion.  He's my creator and my Lord.  I owe Him my total allegiance and Love, not my questions and accusations.

These words from Addison Road give us a glimpse of God's awesomeness and His Holiness.

I guess I thought that I had figured You out I knew all the stories and I learned to talk about How You were mighty to save Those were only empty words on a page Then I caught a glimpse of who You might be The slightest hint of You brought me down to my knees

(CHORUS)
What do I know of You
Who spoke me into motion?
Where have I even stood
But the shore along Your ocean?
Are You fire? Are You fury?
Are You sacred? Are You beautiful?
What do I know? What do I know of Holy?

(CHORUS 2)
What do I know of Holy?
What do I know of wounds that will heal my shame?
And a God who gave life "its" name?
What do I know of Holy?
Of the One who the angels praise?
All creation knows Your name
On earth and heaven above
What do I know of this love?

Always believing,

Joy Cruse

No comments:

Post a Comment