And He said unto me, "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
2 Corinthians 12:9

Monday, May 25, 2009

Our Hero

As I started to write this post, and then looked back at the title, I should clarify. Our heroes are the men & women who serve our country and sacrifice their lives to protect our freedom. So, let's stop and remember them first.
*
*
*
Last night, B was our hero! If you have a weak stomach or get scared by "creepy, crawlies," don't continue to the pictures.

We always get the coupons and sales circulars from Mom from her Sunday paper. She was sitting out back last night on the phone. So, she asked us to come to the back door to get everything. Since she was going to be on the phone, she was just going to reach over the fence and hand it to us when we arrived.

She had been going in and out of the gate throughout the evening, taking trash out, etc. She asked my uncle to hold so she could reach over the gate and hand us the paper when she heard us pull up in the driveway. He stopped her (a God moment) and said he could get off the phone. So, they said their good-byes . She then remembered she wanted B to help her with something in the backyard. So, she asked him to come in rather than her coming to us (another God moment). As he approached the fence, I heard him say, "oh, a snake!" For a moment I thought he was kidding and then I saw him walk away from the fence. I assumed she had put a fake snake up or something like that until he asked for a shovel or something.

I walked up closer thinking it would be a small little garden snake or something. When I made it to her gate and saw it stretched all the way I across I went looking for my camera. B, on the other hand, went to town killing the thing (sorry, PETA)!

Back to the God Moments...had Mom just reached over the fence while on the phone, she probably would have missed it and been bitten. Had she not asked B to come in the backyard, she would have opened the fence herself and it could have jumped on her, scared her, caused a heart attack, etc.....

So, B beat it with a shovel for a little bit and then threw open the gate. Mom then brought him an ax.

This is him holding the head on the shovel and holding the body in place with the ax.
18He replied, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. 19I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. 20However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven."
Luke 10:18-20


Talk about having your "head handed to you." This is the snake's head in the shovel. Yep, that's my hubby still in his dress clothes having just killed a snake. Crocodile Hunter and all those other nature guys that wear khaki and wilderness clothes have nothing on my hubby. It's all in a days work for him.



He has no head in these pictures, but his body was at least a yard long.

You can see by these pictures that he wasn't pleased at this point.



B called this pic "the death roll."
You can see his tongue hanging out.

On the way to the trash...are you cringing and shaking as much as I am?

13No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man. 14Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.

John 3:13-15

18...
they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."

19After the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, he was taken up into heaven and he sat at the right hand of God.

Mark 16:18-19


After much research, we think it was a Rat or Chicken Snake. I think that's what they said they're called. Mom & B did the research. They are apparently very good climbers and go after bird eggs. Mom has created quite the bird sanctuary in her backyard. So, the likelihood of there being eggs in her backyard is high. They apparently aren't venomous, but they can bite like crazy and draw some nice blood. Yuck!!! I think we all shook and cringed & watched where we stepped the rest of the evening!!

B thinks he was trying to smile for the camera in this one.

OUR HERO!!

1 comment:

  1. YUCK! The pictures alone creep me out!

    thanks for your sweet note! what a special day we will have to share (assuming the baby cooperates)!

    ReplyDelete