And He said unto me, "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
2 Corinthians 12:9

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Northwestern

Wow!! That's all that I'm really able to say.

Right! Y'all know I'm never at a real loss for words. Especially now that I am at home all the time and don't get to speak with people all day, like I am used to doing. So, we are at the Annual Meeting for B's company. Wow! What an amazing experience this has been for us for so many different reasons.

1. We've needed an escape.
Life has been too "real" for us over the last two and a half years. With all of the health stuff we've both gone through, that B's brother has gone through, etc., we needed a break. Though this is a business meeting, it is still leaving our house for an extended period of time and not going to a hospital.
2. B needs a break from having to listen to me.
Me being stuck in the house all day must drive B crazy. When he gets home from work, I just start talking. He should get a chance to walk in, take his shoes off, relax for a few moments, etc. However, he walks in and I download the entire day on him. Again, those of you that know me, know that I love to talk (too much) and my job provided for that everyday. Nowadays, being on the phone wears me out. When he walks in, he gets a full day's worth of all the talking I want to do...So, I have been surrounded by many that are humoring me by letting me talk to them! ; )
3. I have learned about the amazing attributes of Northwestern
  • B works for Northwestern Mutual selling life insurance, disability, and long-term care. As I have told many people this week, "I know B's character, but it is so special to see the high values held by the company!" On a national level, they begin every business meeting with a prayer recognizing their need for guidance and a shepherd.
  • They don't pay for their reps to attend annual meeting. It is the choice of each rep as to whether or not they come to the meeting. Over 10.000 reps and family members are here this year. That speaks volumes to me about the commitment these reps have to the company they represent. Moreso, it speaks volumes to the concern the company has for its policyholders. The policyholders get a much larger dividend at the end of the year because expenses are kept so low!
  • For the last 25 years, Fortune has released an issue on the most respected companies within many different industries. Northwestern is the only company that has been ranked #1 in their class for all twenty five years. There was even a gentleman from Fortune that spoke to us today about how impressed he is with Northwestern. He also did the research to confirm that Northwestern is the only company to be consistently ranked Number One as most respected. If it tells you anything, this financial "expert" even has his policies with Northwestern.
4. This company is so family oriented.
Northwestern is also very family focused. They encourage reps to bring their families (and I mean their entire families-one of the families had six kids) to annual meeting. We have met babies that are three weeks old. We have met mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, etc. The family is invited to each and every event. As crazy as this sounds, one of the most impressive things to me has been the role these fathers are playing in their childrens' lives. Almost every father that I've seen has been carrying his children. I know that sounds silly, but it has been so special to see the investment these men are encouraged to make and are investing in their families.
5. Great/Motivational speakers
There have been some amazing speakers. Rudy Giuliani being the best known of the speakers. However, the men and women within this organization that have spoken have been so inspiring. I found myself taking notes to apply to life in general, but to be able to take back with me when I return to work.
6. My problems don't seem that big.
Yes, I have had seizures since I've been here at the meeting. It's frustrating, but everyone has a battle they are fighting. We have been exposed to so many of them. A few examples:
  • As we were walking through the exhibit hall the other day, I saw a man with a scar across the top of his head. With the idea of upcoming brain surgery, I wanted to know his story. He had a tumor in his brain that was diagnosed as non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. During that time, he experienced many seizures, was unconscious for over three months in ICU, etc. He has now overcome that battle and won three awards this year.
  • One of the gentleman that was recognized for performance this year, was recently diagnosed with Cerebellar Degeneration. Through many surgeries, etc., this was his best year ever in the industry (he's been in the industry for over twenty years). So amazing!
  • Columbine: I'm sure that most of you remember the horrific acts at Columbine in 1999, the students that were killed & injured, and the image that is consistently played in videos of the attack, the young man falling out of the library window into the arms of the FBI agents that were standing on top of the Loomis-Fargo truck. Do you remember that? A young man in a white t-shirt, it appears as though he has lost his foot due to the shooting, it also seems that he is paralyzed, and he is covered in blood as he falls out of the window b/c this is his only chance at survival. This young man, that was shot in the head twice and paralyzed on his right side and was shot in the foot, is a rep for Northwestern!!! He told his full story for the first time ever. Though completely paralyzed on his right side, unable to walk, unable to talk, unable to read, unable to write, etc., he persevered and learned how to do each of those things again and walked across the stage the next year, graduating on time, with his class, as Valedictorian. He is now married to a beautiful young woman and had his best year ever with the company this past year.
So, I am going to try to do a better job of putting things in perspective. Each of these men has had severe trauma to their brains, had major brain surgery, and they are incredibly successful!
6. They truly give back to the community
This company is so focused on community service that they recognize the Top 25 reps in the company that have made an impact in their community by providing $10-25K in grant money to the organization in which each of these reps serve.
7. We got to go to the zoo
So much fun!! The night before the meeting started, Northwestern hosted a garden party at the Milwaukee Zoo. We had free access to the zoo the entire night and got to see all of the animals.

8. Finally...we get to see Reba tonight!!
There is a concert tonight...it's Reba McEntire! I'm so excited. Like a little kid. I hope that she sings some of the old classics that we grew up singing!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to see you guys are on a mini-vacation and that you are enjoying yourselves! You deserve it! Im thinking of you and praying for you...
    Love ya! Mandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lions, Tigers, and Bears oh my!! It sounds like you have had a wonderful week watching the Reba show and going to zoo and a fabulous convention! I am glad both of you were able to get away and have a wonderful time. It does sound like a great company you are working for Ben, and it was very humbling for me as well to read all the stories of adversity and triumph that people in the company have overcome!
    Kristiana

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way.. what an adorable picture of you and Ben.. with all you have been through and not working.. you are looking great! Have you lost weight? Kristiana

    ReplyDelete