And He said unto me, "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
2 Corinthians 12:9

Monday, October 11, 2010

From Connor's Mommy

Monday, October 11, 2010

JOySuffering, the great teacher, has also taught me to try to look at the situation through a heavenly perspective.  It's only normal that we should look at everything through earthly eyes, but there is so much more to be seen.  We often do not recognize God's bigger picture or plan.  As we were studying Mark 8 :31- 33 in Sunday School, this became so apparent.
 
"Jesus began to teach the disciples that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and after three days rise again.  He spoke plainly about this and Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him.  But when Jesus turned and looked at his disciples, he rebuked Peter. 'Get behind me, Satan! You do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men.'"
 
Pretty strong words.  I was trying to think of the words that Peter may have said to Jesus, like...This is your great plan?  You came to earth to die?  Why don't you just take over your rightful authority on the throne?  You are the King of Kings, so use your power to rule here on earth.  There has got to be a better way. Why does there have to be a cross?
 
I have to admit that I've asked some of those questions to God 
myself.  I sensed the same frustration in Peter that I have felt.  
This was your great plan for Connor?  There's not a better way?  
Wouldn't Connor serve you better if he had lived?  I've offered many different scenarios that seem a lot better than this one.  But, I can just hear God answer  me, "You do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."
 
We often think that Victory has to be won through strength instead of weakness, military might rather than selfless surrender, self promotion instead of sacrificial submission and humility.  I'm sure that was how Peter saw it, but I'm sure his perspective changed when he and John arrived at the empty tomb. I wonder if that was the AH HAH moment for Peter.  Or was it when Jesus appeared to the disciples that same night?
 
When I think of Connor, I wonder if I will have that same clarity this side of Heaven like Peter did, or will the clarity come once I've entered the gates of Heaven.  I pray that whether answers come this side of Heaven or not, I will continue to cling to my faith and hope in Jesus Christ.  Like Jesus said in John 21:29, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."  I pray that I will focus on the things of God and not the things of man.
 
"Since Jesus went through everything you're going through and more, learn to think like him.  Think of your sufferings as a weaning from that old sinful habit of always expecting to get your own way.  Then you'll be able to live out your days free to pursue what God wants instead of being tyrannized by what you want."
I Peter 4:1-2 The Message
 
Always believing,
Joy Cruse

No comments:

Post a Comment