And He said unto me, "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
2 Corinthians 12:9

Tuesday, February 5, 2019

#HealingForHaylie-Post 79

Haylie update - Feb 4

We had an eventful weekend. We had Brennen’s last regular season basketball game on Saturday and we won! Brennen had another good game and scored 8 points. Playoffs start next week. Haylie was able to make it to 2 games this season, but honestly I don’t think she misses going that much.
We ended up going out to Jason’s Deli on Saturday night, mainly because Haylie was begging to get out of the house and I had nothing to cook. Her ANC surprised us by being 750 on Friday so we figured it was still in the ok range, so why not!

Sunday we got steaks and planned on just watching the super bowl at home away from any potential germs. Haylie was quite upset at this prospect and begged to go to a party. We eventually gave in and figured we would stay for 30 mins. Well...we ended up staying the whole time. Haylie had a blast. There were 3 other girls her age there that go to the same middle school she will attend. Bless her heart, she has missed socializing with friends so much. It was certainly against my better judgment to go, but I felt so bad for her to be secluded for so long. She was like a whole new kid. I saw her run by, and run up the stairs! I haven’t seen her do that in so very long. I couldn’t believe it. She said she had the most fun that she has had in months. On the way home she told me that she did a front handspring on the trampoline. 😳. What! I later found out that she had done several and even taught one of the other girls how to do one. Oh my! She did have fun. Pretty much as soon as we got home, she completely crashed. We ended up having a very tough night because she was in a lot of pain, but I finally got her to sleep around 1:30am.

Apparently, she had used all of her energy quota for a couple of days. I ended up having to carry her up and down the stairs this morning. She said she didn’t care, it was totally worth it. Ha.

We had to come to the hospital again today for her next Erwinaze chemo shot. They checked blood counts at intake and I got quite a shock. Her ANC has fallen to 80. 😬. Oh goodness, she basically has no immunity right now and I had her at a super bowl party last night. 🤦🏽‍♀️. She still claims it was worth it. The doctor did give her strick instructions for no more trampoline until she is finished with this phase of treatment and her counts come back. Her hemoglobin was at 9.1 so that was good news, but her platelets were only at 18 so we have to get another platelet transfusion today before she can get her chemo shots.

Unfortunately, there are no available platelets on hand at this hospital so we have been waiting for about 3 hours for platelets to be sent over. Once we get the platelets, she can have her chemo shot and then we have to wait another hour to make sure she doesn’t have a reaction. The nurse did tell us that we could go ahead and get the chemo shots before the platelets to speed things up, but they would have to apply heavy pressure and compression in order to avoid her getting a hematoma. Uh..no thank you. We will wait because I certainly don’t want any more complications right now.

The platelets finally arrived and she is currently getting her transfusion now. Yay! We are praying she doesn’t have a reaction this time. She is feeling much better. It probably has something to do with the 2 hour nap she got after they gave her Benadryl as a precaution before her transfusion today.

You can probably tell I’ve had to write this post in sections. She just finished her platelet transfusion and all went well! No reaction, praise Jesus! She also got her chemo shots and took them like a champ. We just have to wait an hour and we can go home. Hopefully this will be the last transfusion that she will need. Even though we had to wait, we are again so thankful for the kind person that donated platelets. It made Haylie’s chemo treatment possible today. Bless everyone who donates blood and platelets. You may never know the impact it has on someone else’s life. I see the many faces that it helps at this one hospital. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

On another note, Haylie is currently in the lead for her hair growth competition with the chia pet. 🤗🎉
#HealingForHaylie





No comments:

Post a Comment